Connect with us

News

Attorney For Homeless Man: All The Money In GoFundMe Fundraiser For Him Is Gone

The attorney for John Bobbitt, the Philadelphia homeless man who gave his last $20 to a woman when she ran out of gas, prompting her and her husband to start a GoFundMe fundraiser that raised roughly $400,000 for Bobbitt, says all of the money is gone.

Chris Fallon, Bobbitt’s attorney, said he discovered the money was gone when he spoke on a conference call Tuesday morning with the attorney for Kate McClure and Mark D’Amico, the couple who started the GoFundMe site.

The deadline for McClure and D’Amico to release the funds came last Friday, but no money was forthcoming. Bobbitt suspects a used BMW supposedly belonging to the couple was purchased using some of the finds from the GoFundMe site. ABC 7 reported, “More than 14,000 people donated to help Bobbitt. McClure and D’Amico set up the GoFund Me with claims they would buy Bobbitt a house and set up two trusts. It never happened.”

Bobbitt has sued the couple, claiming they stole the money that he says was rightfully his; the couple has denied using the money on themselves.

According to Bobbitt, he received $75,000 in cash, goods and services. The defense attorney countered that Bobbitt received $200,000 dollars from the money donated.

Bobbit told Action News last week that McClure and D’Amico used the funds from the GoFundMe site to take expensive trips, go on shopping sprees, and gamble.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RWF