“Empire” star Jussie Smollett has managed to stay out of the news cycle lately, but now he’s gotten hit with a one-two punch of bad news.
Smollett recently had 16 felony charges dropped against him after the county prosecutor’s office decided not to pursue the case even though Chicago Police said they had a mountain of evidence against him. Prosecutor Joe Magats even said he believes Smollett lied about being attacked by two white President Trump supporters in Chicago yet saw no reason to bring him to trial.
It was a bizarre decision that left Smollett, in the eyes of county law, not guiltless but still set free.
— Page Six (@PageSix) April 13, 2019
But according to what multiple sources have told the UK’s Daily Mail, Smollett has been cut from an upcoming Broadway performance he was planning sing in.
— SuperVillan (@SuperVillan3) April 16, 2019
Smollett was slated to star in “Take Me Out,” a revival of the 2003 Tony-winning production, alongside “Star Trek” star Zachary Quinto. That doesn’t look like it’s going to happen now.
“Everything was set to go and the producers were planning to announce that Jussie and Zachary Quinto were starring in the play last month,” a Broadway insider told the Daily Mail. “Everyone was so supportive after the attack and then suddenly, everything shifted.”
Time will tell if those sources were correct.
The Nigerian Osundairo brothers admit to attacking Smollett but say the actor paid them to do it and asked them to yell racist and anti-gay slurs at him.
The Osundairo brothers were admittedly part of the Jussie Smollett attack. https://t.co/JxJ41gCOFh
— NewsOne (@newsone) April 16, 2019
Smollett, on the other hand, has claimed he had no part in orchestrating the attack and said he was shocked and bewildered that two men he knew would attack him out of the blue like that.
Now his claim that he fought off the two bodybuilders — while keeping hold of his Subway sandwich — is sounding even more like complete baloney now that one of those brothers has just been awarded a boxing title.
Abimbola "Abel" Osundairo, one of the brothers involved in Jussie Smollett's allegedly staged hate crime wins Chicago's annual Golden Gloves boxing tournament. https://t.co/pEjH54hx7X #AbimbolaOsundairo #JussieSmollett
— Munir Umrani (@GCityReview) April 14, 2019
According to Fox News, Abimbola “Abel” Osundairo won the annual Chicago Golden Gloves handily by delivering a technical knockout to his opponent last Friday.
And then when Abel Osundairo won, he hit us with one of these.
Cheering him on — family, including his brother Ola who was never too far from his side, and Gloria Schmidt. Osundairo told me he was “nothing” without their support. pic.twitter.com/QqFCcjHvrQ
— 𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕚𝕖 𝕎𝕒𝕤𝕙 (@WashNews) April 13, 2019
For Smollett to fight off a man like that — and his brother — while sustaining minor injuries is incredible.
Meanwhile, Smollett is being sued by the City of Chicago for not paying the $130,000 bill they sent him for the cost of what Chicago Police say was a wild goose chase in investigating a hate crime hoax.
— ABC News (@ABC) April 12, 2019